Three DUS students will be selected for the 2022–2023 Division of Undergraduate Studies Awards. Each award, along with recognition, includes a $1,000.00 scholarship.
Congratulations to the 2021–22 DUS Award winners:
- Olivia Bereswill – University Park – Joyce Buck Award
- Emily Arena – University Park
- Jennifer Meegan – Fayette
Olivia, Emily, and Jennifer took advantage of their DUS experience to challenge their assumptions and find their true interests.
Eligibility for an award is based on the following criteria:
- You were enrolled in DUS for at least two semesters by the start of fall semester 2022.
- Your academic achievement has been commendable.
- You have earned at least 28 credits at Penn State.
- You are a second-year student enrolled at the University this semester.
The winners of this year's awards will be selected based on the following application materials:
A. Please provide thoughtful and comprehensive statements addressing each of the three questions below. Each statement may not be longer than 500 words.
- Exploration is a process. Tell us how you engaged in major and interest exploration while in DUS. What was successful? What would you do differently? From your experience, what advice would you give to a first-year exploratory student?
- Provide a brief summary of the significant co-curricular activities (e.g., clubs, athletics, internships, part-time jobs, volunteering, caregiving, etc.) you have been involved in since you started college. Discuss what meaning or impact one of your most significant experiences had on you and/or others.
- Think about a general education class that you took and connect the knowledge and skills from that class to either your major(s) of interest or an experience that you’ve had outside of the classroom.
B. Academic record
We will print your transcript and current semester schedule for review.
How to Apply:
Applications are reviewed anonymously; please do not include your name or any other identifying information in your submissions. Submit your application as a Word document to Emily Herr at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, October 30, 2022. Submissions must be received from your Penn State email account. No late applications will be accepted. You must also complete the permission form (digital or typed signature acceptable) and submit it with your application via email to Emily Herr.
Scholarship recipients will be notified of award decisions by December 12, 2022. The DUS Awards Committee looks forward to reading your application and learning more about you. If you have any questions, please email Brian Petrosky at email@example.com or Emily Herr at firstname.lastname@example.org.