Division of Undergraduate Studies Leadership Council
DUS Leadership Council members will grow as leaders in their communities and their own lives by reflecting on their strengths and values, critically thinking about diverse leadership styles, and applying their knowledge and skill sets to engagement opportunities offered as a member of the council.
- To serve the Division of Undergraduate Studies and the Penn State community by:
- serving as DUS ambassadors helping to promote a positive awareness of the exploratory educational experience
- representing, reflecting, and providing the voice of the exploratory undergraduate student
- promoting well-informed decision making about academic programs and options
- To assist members in understanding and developing their leadership styles and skills by:
- taking part in leadership development and teambuilding activities
- attending select DUS events and meetings
- observing established leaders at Penn State and in DUS
- providing opportunities to apply self-knowledge (of values, skills, and abilities) to develop self-advocacy and agency
To participate you must:
- be a rising DUS sophomore (first-year student at the time you apply) who possesses leadership qualities or potential and who has demonstrated an eagerness to learn (students selected may participate even if they move out of DUS in the fall of their sophomore year)
- be enrolled at the University Park campus
- be available to participate throughout fall and spring semesters of your sophomore year (one full academic year)
- have demonstrated a commitment to explore academic options while in DUS
- have met with your DUS adviser at least once (can do so in spring if you haven’t already)
- receive a formal nomination from your adviser (but may also ask to be nominated)
Spring 2023 Application Deadlines
- March 7: Nomination Deadline
- Nominations are submitted by your adviser. If you are interested, please make sure you meet with them prior to this deadline.
- March 29: Application Deadline
- Students who are nominated by their adviser will receive an email the second week of March with instructions on how to apply.