DUS NSO Peer Adviser
Summer NSO Peer Advising Position
The DUS Summer Peer Adviser team will play an important role in helping to promote a positive awareness of the exploratory educational experience and well-informed decision making before entering colleges/majors.
- Provide instruction and guidance to incoming first-year students enrolling in summer and fall courses using LionPATH
- Greet and check-in students, parents, and family members upon their arrival to the afternoon DUS College Advising Meeting
- Assist DUS advisers with NSO presentations for students and/or family members
- Assist with other areas of NSO as needed
- Actively engage with students and their families while providing information, instruction, and a welcoming atmosphere
- Maintain student confidentiality
All applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- communication skills
- strong leadership skills
- knowledge of the University's academic structure and student resources
- an ability to work well with others
- DUS Peer Advisers must be available for all training days (May 13–15 and May 18–19) and all NSO programs (May 21–July 21)
- DUS Peer Advisers will be scheduled to work from 1:00–5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday during NSO
- Peer Advisers are able to take summer classes outside of these work hours
- Additional employment opportunities are available from August 17–20.
To apply, submit a cover letter and current resume online through the Penn State job website. Review of materials will begin in February and will continue until position is filled.
Compensation starts at $10.00/hour.
Benefits and Rewards
- Develop/improve public speaking skills
- Opportunity to network with DUS advisers and university staff
- Gain leadership experience