Community and Belonging
Connect with your academic advisor, faculty members teaching the classes you are enjoying the most or/and that you intend to major in, students in your classes (e.g. study groups), and the multicultural liaison in your academic unit.
Consider the following: What identities are important to you? Join one or more organizations that align with your identities. This will help you find people who have similar experiences to you. Explore organizations that you are interested in (e.g. hobbies or skills that you would like to develop) and join them to expand your social network.
Penn State has many quintessential Penn State activities. What activities do you want to be part of your Penn State experience? Here are a few suggestions:
- Attend a Penn State sport event. (consider attending the White Out game).
- Watch the Homecoming Parade.
- Attend Thon.
- Attend an event at the Bryce Jordan Center.
- Attend the Stoop put on by the Paul Robeson Cultural Center (PRCC).
- Participate in a Penn State Alternative Break and participate in one or more trips throughout the year and over university breaks: Fall Service Weekends (FSW), Fall Alternative Breaks (FAB), Alternative Winter Breaks (AWB), Spring Service Weekend (SSW), and Alternative Spring Breaks (ASB).
- Participate in a Day of Service.
- Attend an event at the Center for the Performing Arts.
- Attend an event at The State Theatre.
- Attend an event by the Penn State Thespians.
- Attend Martin Luther King Jr. commemorative events.
- Participate in the six-day Penn State Leadership Institute, a retreat to help students build meaningful connections, foster collaborations and develop leadership skills.
- Develop your leadership skills through an assortment of leadership training.
- Join student government: University Park Undergraduate Association (UPUA). Explore this year’s priorities.
- Volunteer within the Penn State community or in the surrounding communities.
- Help guide first-year students through their orientation as an orientation leader.
- Attend a seasonal event at the Penn State Arboretum (think: pumpkin festival and winter celebration).
- Learn more about Penn State engagement (e.g. student activities and curricular and co-curricular activities) via the Student Engagement Network.