DUS Peer Mentor
The DUS Peer Mentor team will play an important role in helping to promote a positive awareness of the exploratory educational experience and well-informed decision making before entering colleges/majors. If you have any questions about the Peer Mentor position, please contact Courtney Karmelita at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide instruction and guidance to incoming first-year students enrolling in summer and fall courses using LionPATH
- Greet and check-in students, parents, and family members upon their arrival to the afternoon DUS College Advising Meeting
- Assist DUS advisers with NSO presentations for students and/or family members
- Assist with other areas of NSO as needed
- Maintain flexibility in a demanding, fast-paced work environment
- Actively engage with students and their families while providing information, instruction, and a welcoming atmosphere
- Maintain student confidentiality
All applicants should be able to demonstrate:
- communication skills
- strong leadership skills
- knowledge of the University's academic structure and student resources
- an ability to work well with others
- Training will be from 8am until 5pm during the week of May 13th.
As a peer mentor may also assist with the DUS Accepted Students Presentations during the spring semester.
New Student Orientation: May 20- July 19
These dates include additional Peer Mentor summer training dates
Peer mentors will average 22.5 hours a week. The work day will be 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. each weekday. Peer mentors are able to take summer classes outside of these work hours.
The application for the position can be accessed here. As a part of your application, you will be asked to submit an up-to-date resume that includes your work history and campus involvement.
All materials must be submitted online through the http://psu.jobs website. Application materials will be accepted until all positions are full. Application materials submitted by any method other than the PSU Jobs site will not be accepted or reviewed.
Compensation is $9.75/hour.
Benefits and Rewards
- Develop/improve public speaking skills
- Opportunity to network with DUS advisers and university staff
- Gain leadership experience