Division of Undergraduate Studies Leadership Council
- To serve the Division of Undergraduate Studies and the Penn State community by:
- serving as DUS ambassadors helping to promote a positive awareness of the exploratory educational experience
- representing, reflecting, and contributing the voice of the exploratory undergraduate student
As DUS ambassadors, council members foster excitement for the exploratory process as well as practice and promote well-informed decision making before entering colleges/majors. As undergraduate student leaders, members also offer valuable perspectives and insight that can assist the Division of Undergraduate Studies in the practice and research of academic advising.
- To assist members in understanding and developing their leadership styles and skills by:
- taking part in leadership development and teambuilding activities
- attending select Division events and meetings
- observing established leaders at Penn State and in the Division of Undergraduate Studies
DUS Leadership Council members will focus on developing their understanding of diverse leadership styles and their awareness of the qualities and skills of an effective leader. Members will have opportunities to apply what they learn and begin to develop individualized plans for their continual growth as leaders.
To participate you must:
- be a rising DUS sophomore who possesses leadership qualities or potential and who has demonstrated an eagerness to learn (students selected may participate even if they move out of DUS in the fall of their sophomore year)
- be available to participate throughout fall and spring semesters (one full academic year)
- have demonstrated a commitment to explore major options while in DUS
- receive a formal nomination from your DUS adviser in the spring of student’s first-year