"Pre-law is not a major, minor, or series of courses. Law school requires no prerequisite courses and has no preferred majors. Pre-law refers to anyone who is considering going to law school."
Penn State Pre-Law Advising is housed in the Division of Undergraduate Studies at University Park. Whether you are a current Penn State undergraduate or graduate student or an alum planning to attend law school in the future, our pre-law support and related resources will help you find and consider information you need to make informed choices.
The pre-law adviser can assist you with everything from referring you to exploratory resources to reviewing final applications. The pre-law adviser’s objective is to teach you to make informed decisions about law school.
What assistance does Penn State Pre-Law Advising offer?
- Individual advising appointments either in-person, over-the-phone, or via Skype technology
- Small-group advising sessions designed specifically for first- and second-year students
- Advice and guidance on goal clarification, preparing for law school, the law school admissions process, and more
- Personal statement/addenda review
- Pre-law event coordination
- Group presentations
- Pre-law listserv
- Appropriate referrals
- Guidance with navigating the LSAC account and explaining policy/procedures
- Administration of LSAT prep workshop
- Networking and collaboration with other college advisers, law school admissions professionals, career services, and Penn State’s Social Science Library
Make an appointment
To schedule an appointment with the pre-law adviser, please call the Division of Undergraduate Studies at 814-865-7576.
First- and second-year students seeking pre-law advising must first schedule a small group advising appointment by calling DUS at 814-865-7576. Remaining date and time is:
Tuesday, December 10, 3:00 - 4:00pm
Prepare for your appointment
Your time is valuable! To get the most out of your advising discussion, it is important that you prepare for your appointment.
- Browse the Penn State Pre-Law Advising website for answers to many common questions about law school. Start developing/honing your research skills now!
- Complete the PreLawReview to help prepare for your appointment
- Write down questions
- Please email any written documents you wish to have reviewed at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment
Katherine E. Garren, J.D.
Division of Undergraduate Studies
The Pennsylvania State University
101 Grange Building
University Park, PA 16802s
Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm (Mon-Fri, Eastern Time)