Topic from June 2005

What's your favorite quote about advice or advising? Here's one example:

“The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.” —Hannah Whitall Smith

What's your opinion?

Your Responses
“Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.” —Philip Dormer Stanhope

-Brent Hurley, Penn State, June 3, 2005

“Never give advice. Just use yourself and your experiences as a 'been there, done that' model.”

-Louis Schmier, Valdosta State University, June 3, 2005

“I started out in English, and then I went into gerontology, and then for two semesters I was in biology, but what I really want is a physics major. Is there any way I can do that and graduate next semester?”

-Steven M. Stolar, Cumberland County College, Vineland, NJ, June 3, 2005

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” —William Butler Yeats

Belies the perception that advising is the sharing of information only or merely checking off requirements to be completed. Used by Kansas Academic Advising Association on mugs given to presenters at our annual conference.

-Bob Rozzelle, Wichita State University, June 3, 2005

“Good advice costs nothing, and it's worth the price.” —Allan Sherman (song lyric)

-David T. Stark, Hudson Valley Community College, June 6, 2005

“Advice is like snow; the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into the mind.” —Samuel Taylor Coleridge

-Bob Lang, Indiana University East, June 13, 2005

You really opened the door wide for me to respond, since I have a wall full of quips, quotes, etc. that I use as the situation seems appropriate. Some are about advice, and others ARE advice. I really don't know the sources of most of them, but here area few of my favorites:

“Advice is the most useless thing in the world; wise people don't need it, and fools won't take it.”

“The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.” (for the student faltering in a major)

“You'll never know when you need to know what you know.” (for the student who doesn't want to meet the Gen Ed reqs)

“If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.” (for the overcommitted student)

“Have you learned the price of everything and the value of nothing?” (for the overindebted student)

“When you hit the ground running, be sure you're headed in the right direction.” (for the student who just decided on the “right” major)

“Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.” (for the student who “just wants a degree”)

“If you're beating a dead horse, dismount.” (for the student who still doesn't want to meet the Gen Ed reqs)

“Why not go out on a limb—that's where the fruit is.” (for the student who has just made a wise choice of a major, a course, etc.)

“Stay young; you'll live longer.”

“The future isn't what it used to be.”

“Eschew obfuscation.”

“Everyone's in favor of progress; it's change they don't like.”

“Time wounds all heels.”

“The golden rule: whoever has the gold makes the rules.”

“A lousy job—if done better—might only result in a better lousy job.”

“The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.” (for the student rushing to declare a major, often from parental pressure)

“The first rule of holes—when you're in one, stop digging.” (for the student who blames everyone else for his/her lack of meeting some graduation req)

“Down with gravity.”

“I think I'm parked diagonally in a parallel universe.”

“Even if you're on the right track, if you just sit there, you'll get run over.” (for the uninvolved student)

“If you plan to learn, then you must learn to plan.”

“A waist is a terrible thing to mind.”

And the two that I live by ...

“An ounce of data is worth a pound of opinion.”

“Procrastinators have the advantage of working with the most recent available data.” (the reason I was so late in responding)

I hope everyone enjoys these as much as I do ...

-Tom Grites, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, June 21, 2005

“Even though you've answered this question from a million different students a million different times, keep in mind it's the first time this student has asked it!”

-Erin Bickers, Lindsey Wilson College, June 22, 2005

The Mentor is published by Penn State's Division of Undergraduate Studies
Available online at dus.psu.edu/mentor
Privacy and Legal Statements | Copyright | © The Pennsylvania State University | All rights reserved