layer hidden off the screen
Lesson 10: What activities will help me learn more about majors and careers?
Purpose: To introduce activities that will help you in developing your educational and career plans.
The activities below will help you learn more about:
- the focus of the majors you're considering
- your interests and abilities as they relate to majors and careers
- strategies to increase or enhance your career opportunities
See the student example for more information.
- Join student organizations or just attend a few meetings.
- Check out undergraduate research opportunities.
- Ask for course syllabuses from the department.
- Sign up for college/major listservs, newsletters, etc..
- Go to college/major open houses, workshops, and related events. (Watch your e-mail for weekly DUS NEWS announcements.)
- Talk to juniors/seniors (at club meetings, major-related events, upper-level classes, etc.).
- Talk to college/major academic advising resources.
- Get in touch with University-wide advising contacts.
- Attend events (lectures, performances, educational programs and seminars, student activities, etc.).
- Google faculty members to learn more about their interests, areas of expertise, research topics, publications, etc.
- Read Major Decisions for additional ways to learn about majors and careers through interest inventories, Career Services, a decision-making course, Web resources, and more.
Privacy and Legal Statements | Copyright | © The Pennsylvania State University | Division of Undergraduate Studies | July 17, 2009 | Contact