- When did you enter DUS?
- Freshman year.
- How many semesters did you spend in DUS?
- Why did you choose DUS?
- I discovered after one semester of chemistry classes that there was no way I was going to be a chemist. I hated my classes and wasn't doing well in them. However, I had no idea what I wanted to do instead. Luckily, I was steered to DUS and found a wonderful adviser.
- What resources did you use in your exploratory and decision-making process?
- My DUS adviser, Laura Brown, was extremely helpful in exploring options with me. She recommended I take some basic requirement classes while I was looking for a major and encouraged me to take classes I was interested in to see if there was a major possibility there. She introduced me to the idea of planning a career out of something I like to do, instead of out of something I simply could do. That advice made all the difference, and I focused on journalism since I had always enjoyed writing.
- Did DUS benefit you? If so, how?
- DUS helped me step back from the pressure I felt to know exactly what I was going to do with my life even though I was only a freshman. I think it's great if people actually decide their major from the beginning, but in my experience it doesn't usually happen that way. I still would much rather spend a semester or two really looking at the options instead of finding myself near graduation and hating my major.
Penn State Experience
- What major(s) (and minor(s), if applicable) did you end up choosing?
- Journalism with minors in Political Science and Women's Studies
- What year did you graduate?
- What extracurricular activities made a difference in your college experience?
- I was a reporter and editor for The Collegian, which was a huge help in my career. Although my journalism classes were educational, The Collegian gave me the closest thing to "real world" experience. Once I graduated and worked at a newspaper, I was extremely thankful I had worked at The Collegian.
- Looking back, would you have done anything differently during your time at Penn State?
- What jobs have you held since graduation?
- Reporter, The Evening Sun
- City Government Reporter, The News Journal
- Education Reporter, The Macon Telegraph
- Assistant City Editor, City Editor, and Features Editor, The News Journal
- What is your current occupation?
- Stay-At-Home Mom and Freelance Writer
Profile Last Updated: June 6, 2005